Whole Ragi Dosa

Posted by Beyond Curries | Friday, January 22, 2010 | , , , , , | 5 comments »



Ragi was not quite common in our house. I think the connection with ragi for me stopped when I started eating solid foods other than the traditional ragi kanji which is given for infants. Later I started or I should say that I tried to start using ragi after my marriage when I moved to US. That's definitely a very big gap. Some of my experiments with ragi were not that successful so I sort of avoided using ragi flour. One of my resolution (or the only one I guess) for this year is to try different healthy ingredients which I have not tried so far. So when I got a chance to host JFI this month I couldn't think of anything other than Ragi. I was inclined to use whole ragi instead of the ragi flour which is readily available in the stores because ragi flour is not whole grain. While searching of recipes I found this whole ragi dosa recipe in Tarla Dalal's website and decided to try it immediately.

I'm so happy that I tried it because everybody in our family liked this dosa very much. I usually prefer paper like crispy dosas so I was taken by surprise that I liked this thick and chewy dosa as much.


Recipe: Whole Ragi Dosa (Finger Millet Savory Crepes)
Soaking Time: Overnight
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes grinding time
Cooking Time: 2-3 minutes per dosa
Makes: 10 small size dosas
Shelf Life: Best eaten hot as soon as it is prepared
Recipe Inspiration/Source: www.TarlaDalal.com
Recipe Level: Basic/Beginner/Easy
Spice Level: Low
Recipe/Post by: Madhuram

Ingredients:

Whole Ragi - 1 cup
Salt - to taste
Onion, medium size - finely chopped
Ginger, finely grated - 1 tablespoon
Green chilies, finely minced - 1
Oil

Special Utensils:
Dosa Tava and a thin spatula

Procedure:

  1. Wash, rinse and soak whole ragi overnight with enough water.
  2. The next day, drain the water and grind the ragi into a smooth batter adding water little by little as needed.
  3. Meanwhile chop the onions, ginger and green chilies. Reserve the top and bottom of the onion; don't throw it away.
  4. Once the batter is ready transfer it to a bowl and add the remaining chopped ingredients and salt; mix well.
  5. Heat a dosa pan. Rub the pan with the top of the onion. This ensures that you will be able to lift the dosa from the pan without sticking to it.
  6. Take a ladleful of ragi dosa batter and place it on the hot pan and spread it into a small circle. This dosa tastes better if it is thick like adai. Close the dosa with a lid. I use a glass lid so I know when the batter has been cooked completely. Once it is cooked remove the lid and drizzle little oil around the dosa within the edges and flip it the other side.
  7. Let the dosa cook for another minute on the other side. Flip to a plate and ragi dosa is ready to eat. If you make it spicy you don't need any side dish at all.


Special Notes/Tips:

  • I used my wet grinder to grind the ragi and felt that an Indian mixie or a food processor would have been better because of the texture of the ragi. Add water little by little while grinding the ragi or else it becomes way too thin. That's what happened to me. So I stored the batter in the fridge overnight and by the next morning all the excess water started collecting on top leaving a thick ragi batter in the bottom. So I transferred the water to another small container and kept it just in case. The batter below was thick; exactly in the consistency of usual dosa batter.
  • Instead of adding grated ginger and finely minced chilies you can also add this to the ragi while it is grinding so the spice will be spread throughout the batter evenly.


Subscribe to Beyond Curries

RSS Feed Subscribe by Email Subscribe in a Reader
| Copyright © BEYOND CURRIES 2009 | | All rights reserved |
Legal action will be taken against anyone who violates the copyright laws.

Add This Page:

5 comments

  1. Sharmilee! :) // 22 January 2010 at 11:34  

    We make it even more thinner, add just 2 tbsp of rava/sooji to make it crispier. Either ways I like ragi dosa

  2. jayasree // 22 January 2010 at 16:44  

    My raagi dosa is a combo of raagi and some rice. Will try with only raagi.

  3. The Gypsy Chef // 22 January 2010 at 17:54  

    I am so happy to have found your blog. I am going to enjoy exploring it. I love Indian food and your directions are very clear and easy to follow. This rage dosa is now on my "Sonn to Prepare" list.
    Cheers!
    Pam

  4. జ్యోతి // 23 January 2010 at 13:01  

    Thanku for a healthy dosa recipe.will try this..

  5. vahanu // 2 October 2010 at 15:21  

    i enjoyed making ragi dosa from here http://www.vahrehvah.com/Ragi+dosa:6649 its awesome