Recipe: Veggie Poli
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Resting time: 5 hrs
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Recipe Source: My own creation
Yields: 6 pieces (as shown in the picture)
Recipe Level: Medium
Recipe by: Viji
For the Dough
Maida/all purpose flour 1 ½ cup (plus for dusting)
Salt a pinch
Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
Oil 1 tsp
With enough water prepare pliable dough and leave it for 5-6 hours (covered).
Grated carrot, beetroot, cabbage, sweet potato and peas - 3 tbsp each – it will come to 1 cup approximately
Grated khoya/unsweetened gova – 1 cup
Nuts powder (I used only pista powder this time) – 1 tbsp (or besan flour)
Sugar ¾ cup
Elaichi powder ¼ tsp
Ghee 2 tbsp for frying (I used one tbsp only)
For making the pooran
- Steam cook the veggies for 3-4 minutes or in MW high for 3-4 minutes with 1 tbsp water.
- Mash it little bit. Add rest of the ingredients and MW high for 5-6 minutes till it forms like pooran. Leave it to cool. This is important. The pooran will be able to hold but at the same time dry also.
For making the Poli
- Knead the dough well and make small lemon sized balls.
- Prepare the pooran in the same way.
- Roll each ball into 3 inch diameter circles. Keep the pooran at the center. Cover and roll it into balls again. With the pin roll this ball into 5” dia thin circle. Use maida for dusting. Make sure you don’t have any break. Otherwise the pooran will be exposed. Fry in tava with little ghee on both sides.
- You get khoya/gova in the shop.
- If not, take 2 tbsp of carnation milk and mix it with 1 cup of full fat milk powder. Freeze for 1 hour. Grate and use it. Quite easy but taste the same.
Hope you enjoyed this post as usual. We can make our authentic recipes healthier by giving some twists. Let me know your ideas too.