Lachcha Paratha

Posted by Srivalli | Wednesday, January 06, 2010 | , , , | 12 comments »

A very happy new year to all BC readers! For the month of January we are going to focus on Indian Breads. Indian Breads comprises both of Crapes and Flatbreads. Yes you got it right, so we not only get to talk about rotis and parathas, I hope we will be able to talk about different dosas too. Coming to Rotis, the most common Wheat or Maida based flat breads are Chapatis (Wheat Flour), Parottas (Maida)


Photobucket

You have already seen how to make Pulka, the dry rotis by Viji. From what I understood from my North Indian friends is this, they call Roti or pulka which is dry fired over tawa and flame and is not layered. While South Indians fold the rolled ones and roll it out and finally fried by applying oil. These are called chapatis. But North Indians call these as parathas. While we understand parathas as mostly stuffed ones. So by this you know how much of a confusion it is.

On top while I had Roti mela on my blog, I was attempting to learn and experiment with all types of Flatbreads. But only ended up getting many entries, but no less confused. Because while reading through all the different types available, I came across simple types like the Lachcha Paratha and guess what it is like Parotta only made with Whole wheat flour.

In the end I didn't make some of them I planned. But I am happy that I didn't then, for I got an opportunity to talk about it now. Beginning of the month, we decided on the theme and I was searching my drafts on what I can make. Finally I decided on Lachcha Paratha. It was most convenient that this weekend it was a vegetarian meal for lunch and I promptly decided on this.

Though these look very much like the regular chapatis and I mostly make it this way at home, only I never knew its called Lachcha paratha!


Recipe: Lachcha Paratha
Prep Time: 3 -4 mins per paratha
Resting Time for the dough - 1/2 hr
Makes: 6 parathas
Recipe Level: Easy/ Beginner
Recipe/Post by: Srivalli



Photobucket



Ingredients:

3 cups Whole Wheat Flour / Gehun ka atta
Salt to taste
2 tsp Ghee / Clarified butter
2 -3 tsp Ghee + 3 tsp wheat flour
2 -3 tbsp flour for dusting
Water as required to make the dough
2 -3 Oil

Tawa for frying

Procedure:

  1. Take the flour in a bowl along with salt and ghee. Mix well. Slowly add the water and knead to a soft pliable dough. Cover with a wet muslin cloth and let it rest for 20 - 30 mins.
  2. In a bowl, make a mix of the ghee and flour together and keep it aside.
  3. Divide into equal balls. Dust with flour and using a rolling pin, roll out the balls into thin discs.
  4. Spread 1/2 tsp of the ghee+atta mix on the disc. Start from one side and roll inwards, till you roll completely as a rope. The way you do it, you will end up with a tight rope.
  5. Dip your fingers into the ghee mix and spread over the top of the rope. Circle it again as a spiral with the ghee covered. You will end up with a spiraled disc again.
  6. Dust it with flour and gently roll it again.
  7. Meanwhile heat a tawa and once it's hot, fry the rolled out paratha. When one side is cooked and rises up, spread a little of the ghee atta mix on the top and sprinkle oil around the parathas.
  8. Flip over the other side and cook in the same way. Ensure it doesn't get burnt.
  9. Once it's cooked on both sides, remove to a plat and clap at it while it's hot. This way you will loosen the layers.
  10. This paratha ends up being very heavy. Serve it with a gravy of choice



Special Notes/Tips:

  • Melt the ghee before mixing with the flour for spreading.
  • Ensure the rope is tightly rolled in and then don't apply too much force while rolling it out. Else the flaky layers will not get separated.
  • The flour tends to get burnt while you apply over the top and then cook, dust it away before you remove.


Subscribe to Beyond Curries

RSS Feed Subscribe by Email Subscribe in a Reader
| Copyright © BEYOND CURRIES 2009 | | All rights reserved |
Legal action will be taken against anyone who violates the copyright laws.

Add This Page:

12 comments

  1. Pavani // 6 January 2010 at 08:13  

    I always thought these can only be made in restaurants. Thanks for the detailed recipe, will give it a try soon.

  2. Uj // 6 January 2010 at 11:03  

    Initially even I was confused with Plain paratha's ,chapathi and phulka.. After coming here we had been to a hotel and he served paratha's. I checked for stuffing but it did not have any. That's when I realised the folded chapathi is paratha :D Laccha paratha looks yummy...It is one of our fav :D

  3. Sudeshna // 6 January 2010 at 11:14  

    Sri,
    That's really an awesomely detailed post. I am very poor at rolling out rotis and parathas though, they always turn out to be any shape other than circular. Any help for me. :)

  4. Madhuram // 6 January 2010 at 20:50  

    Valli, why do we have to mix atta with the ghee? I simply used to apply ghee only.

  5. Alpa // 6 January 2010 at 20:57  

    These look delicious, so light and flaky.... lovely photo as well.

  6. Srivalli // 6 January 2010 at 23:43  

    Thank you, I am glad this was liked.

    UJ, you are so right!

    Madhu, when we add atta along with ghee it gives more crispy and flaky outer layer.

    Sudeshna, that should not be a problem until the parathas are tasty..:)..most of us don't get it I guess..

  7. Priya // 7 January 2010 at 01:31  

    happy 2010...wow paratha luks yum..my hubby's fav..since u made with wheat..its healthy too..

  8. meeso // 7 January 2010 at 03:39  

    I haven't had dinner yet and now I'm starving! Ooooh, looks so good!

  9. Sum // 7 January 2010 at 13:30  

    I've been longing to learn this... Can you also provide pics for those "folding into a rope" steps??

  10. Divya Vikram // 8 January 2010 at 00:07  

    Havent tried this. Looks so flaky !

  11. Madhuram // 8 January 2010 at 02:26  

    Thanks Valli, I surely am going to try this one quite soon.

  12. krishnnaleela // 29 July 2010 at 14:30  

    Hey I hate to cook again in the night for dinner . But you caught me with this . Today I am going to have lachichi parathas and aloo paneer tikki . :-)