Mandelspritzgeback (Eggless)
Eggless Spritzgeback - Almond Piped German Cookies

Christmas is gone but I am sure a festive treat for the New Year is always welcome, isn't it? I tried these cookies during the long weekend off we were treated to as Christmas and Muharram prefixed and suffixed Saturday and Sunday.

My 2Penn'orth, by Thorsten Kraska is a wonderful blog that has had me smitten since my first visit. The recipes are easy, the write up simple and the pictures exquisite beyond words! I have adapted the recipe for these German Cookies (Spritzgeback) to make it vegetarian by substituting the egg yolks with a tablespoon of coconut cream as I had promised my children a vegetarian bake with real butter. Next time I will go a step further and try a vegan version. Don't let the large yield scare you! My children have been making more than usual trips to the kitchen and the quantity of cookies in the jar tell me the reason why! Do visit the original recipe if you try this and like it as much as my family did. The flavour of the cookie is very buttery and the texture is light, crisp and very fragile.

Spritzeback are traditional German cookies baked during Christmas and popular in most Scandinavian Countries. They are named so because 'spritzen' in German means 'squirt' in English and these cookies are made by squirting out pipes through patterned holes. You could use icing nozzles that have large holes or any other press. (I was tempted to use my son's play dough press which seemed ideal but it has so much play dough stuck that I could not clean it enough!). Towards the end I just dropped teaspoonfuls and flattened the dough a bit into a rough circle.


Recipe: Mandelspritzgeback (Almond Piped Christmas Cookies - Eggless)
Recipe modified with permission from 'My 2penn'orth'
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time:8-10 minutes per batch
Yield: 80-90 cookies
Recipe Level:Easy
Recipe/Post by: Sunshinemom



Ingredients:

250g Softened butter
160g sugar
1 vanilla bean split and scraped into the sugar
A dash of salt
1tbsp thick coconut cream (I used canned)
100g Ground blanched almonds
200g All purpose flour / Maida
200g Cornstarch
Melted dark chocolate

Oven temperature - 190 deg. Celsius.



Photobucket

Eggless Spritzgeback - Almond Piped German Cookies

Procedure:

  1. To make the almond flour, blanch almonds in hot water, let cool and skin. Dry almonds in refrigerator overnight to get rid of the moisture and grind. The original recipe also recommends the use of bitter almond oil as an option but I used mamra badam instead which is the best variety of bitter almonds.
  2. Preheat oven to 190 deg. Celsius. Line baking trays with butter paper.
  3. Mix butter, salt, vanilla and sugar together with a blender till very creamy. Add coconut cream and beat till well mixed. Add almond flour and mix.
  4. Mix the cornstarch and maida together well. Add this little by little to the butter mixture until the dough gets firm/thick enough to press out. I filled the batter into an icing bag and pressed out 2 inch long 'trees' with an icing nozzle. Traditionally pipes, 's' or 'o' shapes are pressed out. After a few batches I just dropped teaspoonfuls and spread it with the back of a spoon.
  5. The original recipe instructs baking at 190 deg. Cel. I baked the first batch at 190 deg. Cel. and then I reduced the temperature to 150 deg. Cel. and baked for 8-10 minutes from the second batch onwards. Adjust the temperature as per your oven.
  6. Let cool completely before removing from the tray as these are fragile and crisp.
  7. Drizzle melted chocolate over the cookies and store in an airtight jar.


Special Notes/Tips:

  • Keep an eye on the cookies as they are not to brown round the edges. If they brown too much reduce temperature like I did.
  • Cool for about 5-10 minutes as these crack very easily when hot.


Subscribe to Beyond Curries

RSS Feed Subscribe by Email Subscribe in a Reader
| Copyright © BEYOND CURRIES 2009 | | All rights reserved |
Legal action will be taken against anyone who violates the copyright laws.

Add This Page:

9 comments

  1. Trish // 4 January 2010 at 09:53  

    wow...that is quite an incredible looking cookie....the photo is simply alluring.

  2. Parita // 4 January 2010 at 12:07  

    Lovely clicks!

  3. Thorsten // 5 January 2010 at 00:19  

    Thank you again for trying the recipe and your kind words on my blog.

  4. BangaloreBaker // 5 January 2010 at 01:13  

    Nice cookie.

  5. meens // 5 January 2010 at 11:37  

    I'm a fresher when it comes to baking and have been successful till now so that drives me to try baking more and blogs like yours encourages me to dwell in the kitchen for long hrs without a problem.

    Now, for my query, your cookie looks so perfect and I'd like to try. pls tell me is cornstarch and cornmeal the same???

    Thanks in advance.

    Budding baker

  6. Sunshinemom // 5 January 2010 at 19:45  

    Meens, you could use cornflour(finely ground white powder ) which is the same as cornstarch. Corn meal (made by grinding whole corns is pale yellow) is the coarsely ground corn that is used to make breads/Indian flatbreads.

    My pleasure, Thorsten!

    Thanks all.

  7. Madhuram // 5 January 2010 at 21:32  

    They do look very delicate, Harini. I'm sure it just melted in your mouth.

  8. meeso // 6 January 2010 at 06:43  

    These cooking sound amazing and they are beautiful!

  9. riteriterite // 23 March 2012 at 19:46  

    Oh The cookies look so good. I must try - must the dough be of dropping consistency like a choux pastry?