Preparing marmalade at home is a real pleasure. The sweetness of the fruit and the bitterness of the zest – nothing is wasted here. Even the seeds are used for pectin. A very simple recipe here for BC reader. Kids will ask more and they will enjoy their breakfast bread with this without any fuss. I simplified the recipe to save time but the quality and taste is same like original one.
Recipe: Orange Marmalade
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 30-40 minutes
Yields: One 500 gms jar
Receipe Level: Easy/Beginner
Recipe/Post by: Viji
2 cups cut orange segments (one lemon included)
2 cups fresh orange juice (one lemon included)
1 cup orange and lemon zest
2 cups sugar
One microwave proof vessel
- Wash the bottles with hot water, the lid also. Dry them naturally.
- Depends on the size and juicy nature of oranges you might need 6-8 to make the above quantity. You need 2 big lemons.
- Take 4 oranges and 1 lemon. Peel the zest with the peeler. Keep aside. Squeeze the juice and collect the seeds in a cheese cloth. This can be used instead of pectin.
- Take the rest of the 4 oranges and one lemon. Remove the skin and seeds . Cut them into bite sized cubes. Save the juice too.
- In a bowl, add the juice, cut fruits and sugar. Drop the seeds pack also. Leave it for 2-4 hours.
- Start cooking in MW high for 20-30 minutes. Till they settle. Remove the seeds bag and throw it. At the end stage, you might feel, it is still watery. But drop a spoon on a plate and keep it in the fridge to test the consistency. It will be sticky and thickened immediately. That’s the correct stage. Normally no spices are added to it.
- When it is cool enough, scoop it in the cleaned bottles and store. Simply delicious.
- Use juicy and sweet oranges.
- Don’t use too much zest (skin).