Eggless Fruit and Nut Cake

Posted by Beyond Curries | Thursday, December 31, 2009 | , , , , , | 7 comments »



Christmas and even New Year is not complete without the traditional Fruit Cake. Back in India, during my school days, getting the plum cake for New Year's was a tradition in our house. My grandmother would also ask us to light candles on New Year's eve. Back then, we were living in a big single house. We had two other small houses in the same compound, which was rented out. So my friends from those families and myself would start lighting the candles throughout the entire compound around midnight. I really don't know what made my grandmother to do that, but we definitely enjoyed that very much because New Year's Eve was the only night in the year when I was allowed to stay up late night, chatting with friends and neighbors.

I have baked two other fruit cake recipes and they tasted almost like the one which we used to get in India. Recently I came across this eggless fruitcake recipe and the simplicity of the recipe and a request from my mother-in-law for a cake for Christmas made me try this one immediately. Mind it, this is not the traditional fruit cake, but just one of the different types of fruit cake. I have made minor changes to the recipe and the taste was very good. In fact, my husband told that this is the best cake I have ever baked.


Recipe: Eggless Fruit and Nut Cake
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Makes: 12-15 servings
Shelf Life: 7-10 days
Recipe Source: RecipesIndian.com
Recipe Level: Basic/Beginner/Easy
Recipe/Post by: Madhuram

Ingredients:

Hot Water - 3/4 cup
Butter - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Ground Nutmeg - 1/2 teaspoon
Mixed Spice - 1 teaspoon
Dried Mixed Fruit, chopped (I used store bought Tutti Fruiti) - 1 cup
Nuts, chopped (I used pecans) - 1 cup
Baking Soda - 1/2 teaspoon
Self Rising Flour - 2 cups

Special Equipments:

An oven
Cake pan

Procedure:

  1. Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Grease a pan of your choice. The original recipe mentions a 9x13 inch rectangle pan. I used a 10 inch spring form pan.
  2. In a saucepan, combine all the ingredients except the flour and baking soda. Stir over medium heat until the butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Bring the mixture to a boil, then simmer for 3 minutes. Remove the saucepan from heat and allow it cool slightly until lukewarm. Stir in the baking soda.
  3. In a large bowl sift the flour and make a well in the center. Pour the cooled fruit mixture into the flour and mix together until well combined. At this stage the batter is sort of thick, like loose chapathi dough.
  4. Spread the batter into prepared pan and smooth the surface with a spatula. Dip the spatula in hot water to evenly spread the batter.
  5. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. The baking time will vary according to the size of pan you are using. So consider that while setting the baking time.
  6. The baking time mentioned in the original recipe was 75 minutes for an 9x13 inch pan, which I think is not right. I don't think it will take 75 minutes for that pan.
  7. Remove the pan from the oven and place the pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes, then turn onto wire rack and cool completely.

Special Notes/Tips:

  • If you don't have self rising flour, here is an easy substitution for it. In a 1 cup measure, add 1 and 1/4 teaspoons baking powder, 1/8 teaspoon salt (just a pinch) and fill the remaining cup with all purpose flour. Do the same for the other cup of self rising flour too.

  • I felt that the smell of the spices were overpowering on the day I baked the cake and it gradually reduced in the following days. So if you are not a spice fan, I would suggest baking this cake at least 1 or 2 days before you intend to serve it.


Subscribe to Beyond Curries

RSS Feed Subscribe by Email Subscribe in a Reader
| Copyright © BEYOND CURRIES 2009 | | All rights reserved |
Legal action will be taken against anyone who violates the copyright laws.

Add This Page:

7 comments

  1. meeso // 31 December 2009 at 13:35  

    Lovely cake... hope you have a Happy New Year!

  2. A-kay // 1 January 2010 at 00:16  

    Madhu, I baked a cake for a holiday party couple of weeks back using a very similar recipe from food network (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/free-range-fruitcake-recipe/index.html), of course replacing the egg with applesauce. I tried another recipe yesterday by making caramel. Both tasted great but I thought the latter was more moist. I will try to send you a note (or post in my blog, if that ever happens :) ) with the recipe details so you can try and compare.

    Also, can you let me know where you bought tutti fruiti - I tried long and hard all I could find was dried fruits and candied fruits, which is what I used in the cake.

  3. Parita // 1 January 2010 at 01:36  

    Truly simple and easy to bake!

  4. PJ // 1 January 2010 at 02:52  

    cake looks wonderful and a nice click too!

  5. BangaloreBaker // 1 January 2010 at 05:42  

    Nice recipe.

  6. Sudeshna // 1 January 2010 at 15:30  

    This looks so great. The recipe is simple too. Thanks a lot for sharing this one.
    Wish you and your family a Happy New Year.

  7. Madhuram // 3 January 2010 at 05:15  

    Thanks everbody.

    Akay wish you a very happy New Year. I'll check the link. Here we have a bulk foods store and I found tutti fruiti there.