When less is more can one ignore the protein powerhouse in sprouts? Sprouts are nutritious and require very few ingredients to add taste. In fact, if you add too much you might end up taking away the nutrients.
In Maharashtra, sprouts form a very important part of food and are incorporated into various dishes such as usal or salads. Sprouted seeds are sold in our local markets in plenty and I find it very convenient to pick up my favourite combination of beans. If you do not have this facility it is very easy to sprout beans at home. Sprouted alfalfa or wheat are equally nutritious and do a lot for the skin and hair while they prevent cancer, heart diseases and ease menopausal problems as well as osteoarthritis.
Recipe: Moth beans Sprouts Salad
Prep Time: 20 minutes including steaming time
Cooking Time: 5minutes
Makes: 2 level cups
Shelf Life: Must be had fresh
Recipe Level: Basic/Beginner/Easy
Spice Level: Low
Recipe/Post by: Sunshinemom
1 cup moth/matki bean sprouts (or any other such as moong)
1tbsp finely chopped onions
1tbsp finely chopped tomatoes
1tsp. cumin seeds
1 green chilli slit lengthwise
1 garlic clove cut, minced or crushed
1" ginger, julienne
1tbsp. coriander leaves to garnish
Special Utensils:A wide colander to sprout the seeds.
How to sprout beans at home?
- Soak the bean seeds in plenty of water for about 6 hours in case of smaller beans such as moth beans, moong beans etc. and about 8-10hours in case of large seeds such as chickpeas or dry peas.
- Rinse the soaked seeds and place in a sieve or colander. Germination depends on several external conditions such as humidity, sunlight and air. I usually keep the tray in the less lit corner of the kitchen and rinse the germinated sprouts once before allowing the roots to grow longer. The rinsing should be done very carefully as the roots being tender may break otherwise and no excess water should remain in the tray. If it is your first time you could use a cotton towel to line the tray as this will absorb the excess water. In our conditions sprouting takes place within 24 to 32 hours. If the seeds start letting out a slight odour throw them and start again. This will happen if the water has not drained out completely.
- Sprouts may be stored in the refrigerator and will not spoil for at least a week but they are best had fresh to gain nutrition.
- Procedure for salad:
- Steam the sprouts for about five minutes so that it turns soft but retains a bite.
- Heat oil, splutter cumin seeds and add garlic, ginger and green chillies. Saute till the green chillies change colour slightly.
- Add onions and saute till translucent. Add tomatoes and steamed sprouts. Adjust salt and pepper.
- Squeeze a dash of lime and have as it is or serve with rotis. Why not top a slice of bread?
- If using moong beans, you may go raw vegan. Just mix raw onions, tomatoes and sprouted beans. Adjust salt and garnish with ginger and green chillies. Squeeze lime and serve. Tastes equally good and makes a wonderful evening snack.
- I sometimes add alfalfa sprouts to this after removing from fire and stir it well. This is the only way I can ensure that the goodness of alfalfa flows into our systems.
- The raw vegan version with alfalfa makes a very refreshing appetizer if served in small portions in spoons or in wraps formed out of Chinese cabbage or bok choy/ pok choi leaves.