I am not sure if you had noticed it, but here in Beyond Curries we post on a theme. Finally starting this month, we decided we would announcement the theme to our dear readers, so that they know what they are going to get to read about.

Presenting you the theme for the November month theme, which is going to be "Less is More" Well most people when they think about Indian Cuisine tend to assume that many ingredients go into making a complete dish. Most times they are wrong. I don't deny the fact that yes, many of our dishes do require more than 6 ingredients. But hey we do have simple dishes too. Our goal is bring clarity to what forms Indian cooking. Of course it is not a simple task to be done away with. Trying to explain the plethora of what makes it will take all years together. But we will try!

In "Less is More", we are going to share recipes that are made with no more than 6 ingredients (salt and tadka ingredients are not counted)

I wanted to start this series with a sweet and a lovely one at that. Who wouldn't like Chocolate! Now that is not a question, but a statement. There aren't many people who can resist chocolate. On my part, the darker is more fanciful, the more bitter, it tastes better! Many a times, many such bitter things are scorned but not a bitter dark Chocolate, I am sure.

I love indianising anything and everything. Infact I can't say chocolate or cocoa is not part of Indian Cuisine. We are good at adapting right. So presenting to you on the theme Less is more, comes this delicious Chocolate Halwa! Given my addiction to halwas, it is only natural that I combine my two most loved ideas into one!

I know most would prefer to eat chocolate as such, yet here is another wonderful way to eat it!




Chocolate Halwa


Recipe: Chocolate Halwa
Prep Time: 15 - 20 min
Makes: 2 measuring cups
Shelf Life: Can be stored for a week in refrigerator
Recipe Level: Beginner/Easy
Recipe/Post by: Srivalli


Ingredients:

Condensed Milk - 400 gms
Cocoa powder - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1/4 cup
Butter - 50 gms
Roasted Nuts

Procedure:

  • Take all the ingredients in a thick bottomed pan, mix well to blend the cocoa into the condensed milk and get a lump less cocoa.
  • Meanwhile roast chopped nuts like cashew, Almond in ghee and keep aside.
  • Cook the condensed milk and cocoa mix over a medium flame, while you keep stirring it. After 5 mins, the mixture starts getting together.
  • Just then you can remove from flame, else you will get more solidified chocolate, which can be called burfi!
  • Remove to a bowl and garnish with roasted nuts.

Special Notes/Tips:

  1. I normally roast the nuts in the same pan that I am going to cook this halwa, to save on cleaning. Works out well too.
  2. This takes about 5- 7 mins of cooking time, if not less. As I said, if you want a thicker version, cook for few more mins, have a greased plate ready. Once its done, spread on the greased plate. Dip the knife in ghee or butter and make insertions. Once its cool, you can remove them as squares or bars to get chocolate burfi.
  3. I removed one stage before to land in a perfect halwa!
I must say, though all the halwas I have made till now turned out well, none can beat the chocolate halwa in taste and comfort!


Subscribe to Beyond Curries

RSS Feed Subscribe by Email Subscribe in a Reader
| Copyright © BEYOND CURRIES 2009 | | All rights reserved |
Legal action will be taken against anyone who violates the copyright laws.

Add This Page:

8 comments

  1. Purnima // 5 November 2009 at 17:27  

    My kids are gonna love this! Tks!

  2. Shifa Firoz // 5 November 2009 at 19:54  

    my greedy mind says make this now! :)

  3. Sudeshna // 5 November 2009 at 20:39  

    Srivalli,
    This is absolute sin. I'm running to get hold of some cocoa and condensed milk.

  4. Mythreyee // 5 November 2009 at 21:44  

    Looks fantastic.

  5. egglesscooking // 5 November 2009 at 21:49  

    I'm craving for this halwa so badly Valli!

  6. meeso // 6 November 2009 at 03:37  

    Wow, that is great, wish so few ingredients! An easy dessert... and I agree, a dark, bitter chocolate is amazing!

  7. my kitchen // 10 November 2009 at 23:45  

    Love all types of halwa,Really different one.Kids love this

  8. nivedita // 12 November 2009 at 10:54  

    Hi
    The Halwa was very tasty, the moment my both kids saw the halwa in a bowl, they started dancing and finished in no time.
    Thanks, soon I will post my version(photo only) in my blog.