It's been a long time since I took note of this Capsicum Pickle recipe from a Tamil Magazine. Finally I got a chance to make it last week. I was very skeptical about the taste but I need not have worried after all because it was very good. With minimal ingredients, simple procedure and excellent taste, this recipe is definitely a keepsake. It goes very well with idlis, dosais and even rice, especially curd rice.
Recipe: Capsicum Thokku (Green/Bell Pepper Pickle)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes
Makes: 1/2 cup
Shelf Life: Upto a week in the refrigerator
Recipe Inspiration/Source: Aval Vikatan (Tamil Magazine)
Recipe Level: Basic/Beginner/Easy
Spice Level: Medium
Recipe/Post by: Madhuram
Capsicum, medium size - 2
To roast and powder
Fenugreek seeds - 1 teaspoon
Fenugreek powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Asafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 teaspoon
Juice of 1 big lemon
Red chili powder - 1/2 tablespoon
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Salt - 1 teaspoon
Oil (preferably Sesame Oil) - 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Wash the green peppers, remove the stalk and finely dice them.
- Heat a frying pan and toast the fenugreek seeds. Powder it once it is cool and set aside.
- In the same frying pan add the 3 tablespoons of oil and once it is hot add the mustard seeds. Now add the chopped peppers and a pinch of salt and sautee it until it is cooked well. Mine is an electric range and it took approximately 12 minutes.
- While the capsicum is cooking, in a blender grind together the ingredients listed. Save the extra fenugreek powder for later.
- Once the capsicum is cooked well add the ground paste and mix together. Let this cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- If you wish you can add another teaspoon of oil to the pickle before removing it from the stove top and mix it well.
- Transfer to a clean container which has a lid and close it when it has cooled completely.
- If you have some leftover fenugreek powder you can mix it with idli batter. You can also mix it in buttermilk and drink it. This is a good remedy for stomach related ailments and will also help to cool down the body.