Kothu Parotta has been on my mind for ages. Must be really years. Seriously, have you ever been in a situation where you wanted to taste something and when you do, you simply fall in love with it! You get so depressed for the many years spent without tasting it. This happened to me. This is the ultimate street food you can get in this parts of the world! If you are familiar with the gastronomical indulgence of the people hailing from Tamil Nadu, then this is their ultimate choice for fast food or street food, as you may call it! I have always had a great passion for Parotta. When you walk on our streets, more in particular, the market places, you can for sure,see many such Parotta wala on the push carts. The aroma that sniffs pasts, pulls your heart strings to core.



I have always longed to eat in such places. But the puritanical attitude, which rears its ugly head at times, never allows it. I am not a puritan par se. But a woman is allowed to have her contradictory attitudes right! On top, Dad never allowed us to eat anything from the street or road side shop for hygienic reasons. I have never eaten from any such shops. Can you believe, we went to Bombay, Calcutta, but never eat anything off the street! All those yummy chats and masalas. They did tug me to no end. But then Dad's rule or not, even when I traveled without him, I can't get myself eat in those places. Though one part of me, always longed I wasn't so prudish!

Now all said and done, it isn't I never enjoyed Kothu parotta. My colleagues used to order this from Saravana Bhavan. Saravana Bhavan is really conjus, they give a very small box with an overly charged price! Still this colleague ordered Kottu parotta for lunch, almost every day. And most times when we sat for lunch together, I used to share mine. Though not sure how authentic, it sure was yummy! But then what is authentic when it comes fast food. Though Amma and I used to experiment and generally cook lot of new dishes, this was something we never attempted.

During my blog hopping, almost a year back, I came across Spicyana's recipe. I loved her bowl but again never found time, until I was forced to make it! I ended adapting from her recipe and creating my own way, which the kids simply loved.


Kothu Parotta


Recipe: Kothu Parotta ~ Curried Indian Bread
Pre-required - 6 Ready made Parottas
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 4-5 persons
Shelf Life: Strictly to be served from pan to plate
Recipe Inspiration/Source: Spicyana
Recipe Level: Beginner/Easy
Spice Level: Can be adjusted according to taste
Recipe/Post by: Srivalli


Ingredients:

Shredded Parotta - 6 nos ( I used only All purpose flour for making the parotta)
Onions - 2 medium
Ginger Garlic paste
Green chillies - 1-2, Slit and chopped to half
Capsicum - quarter of a medium size one
Spring Onions - half of a bunch
Tomato sauce - 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsp
Coriander to garnish

Procedure:

Make the Parottas before you start with this. Actually this came into picture to use the day old parottas. But I think the fresh one will be best for kids.

Cut Onions into squares or big chucks. I don't like to chew on big capsicum pieces, so chopped them fine.

Trim the Spring onions and use the onions for sauteing. Tear the parottas randomly. I don't think same size will have that effect!

Heat a pan with oil. Add the onions, fry well. Once they turn pinkish, add the ginger garlic paste. Fry well. Then add the capsicum and cover for 2 mins in sim. Once they are soft, add the white onions from the spring onions. Stir well.

Now add the green chillies, salt and the green part of the spring onions. Once they sizzle well, add half of the tomato sauce.

Then goes the parotta pieces. cook on high flame for 2 mins. Then add the remaining tomato sauce so that its gets coated well.

Add rest of the garnish and cover for 2 more mins. Check the parotta softness and add more tomato sauce if required.

Serve hot!

Special Notes/Tips:

  • Instead of using only all purpose flour, you can include atta if you are making the parotta yourself.
  • Though the original recipes uses Crepes, I made parotta
  • Didn't use whole garlic and ginger. Instead used a ginger garlic paste as it was stocked.
  • Omitted Soy Sauce and Celery.
  • Added more Green chillies to suit our taste!


Subscribe to Beyond Curries

RSS Feed Subscribe by Email Subscribe in a Reader
| Copyright © BEYOND CURRIES 2009 | | All rights reserved |
Legal action will be taken against anyone who violates the copyright laws.

Add This Page:

10 comments

  1. Pari // 14 September 2009 at 10:23  

    Is not this originally made with the Kerala Paratha. love your version too. I am sure Kids must have had a great time eating it.

  2. Priya Narasimhan // 14 September 2009 at 11:08  

    I always order this when I go to tamil nadu style hotel...now i can make this at home itself..:-) photos are too good..

  3. Hobbes // 14 September 2009 at 11:35  

    This makes one mean Kothu Parotta. :)
    http://www.marriedtoadesi.com/2007/08/kothu-parotta.html

    I tried it only when I came across this link. Till then I havent even heard of it, but after trying it, I've been so hooked, I buy Malabar Parathas just so that I can make this.

    - Keerthi

  4. Khaugiri // 14 September 2009 at 12:11  

    Yeh! This is my all time favorite dish..... we call it as Kuskara! Sometime I make extra rotis to make Kuskara next day....

  5. Vani // 15 September 2009 at 01:46  

    I've been reading about kothu parotta in blogs but never had them myself. Your version looks delicious! You never ate street food, Valli? It helps develop your immune system, you know :)

  6. Chitra // 15 September 2009 at 13:47  

    This is in my mind for a long time..Shud try this.Droolworthy pics..

  7. Sudeshna // 15 September 2009 at 22:25  

    Atlast I know what to make of the parathas. This has to be prepared the next time parathas are left out :)

  8. Srivalli // 17 September 2009 at 23:00  


    Thanks for the comments everybody!

    Pari, this is made with the famous tamil nadu parotta. Yes indeed they did


    Vani, I know thats so true, but can't seem to get over the childhood rules!..:))

  9. Shruthi // 22 September 2009 at 14:46  

    Does anyone have the recipe for the Pickled Green chillies served with Parathas at Vegetarian Restaurants? I guess this is an instant recipe as the chillies do not stay till the next day, unless refrigerated.

  10. egglesscooking // 22 September 2009 at 21:53  

    Mouthwatering picture Valli. My husband loves kothu parotta and vada kari. I really don't have the patience to prepare parotta, so I make layered chapathis and use it. I see kerala parottas mentioned here, will get it and try that too.