Either with tiffen or with rice and ghee, this powder goes well. You can use this like our idli podi also. The black urad dhal (with the skin) gives nice aroma. Dry coconut add taste to it. Simple but tasty one.




Recipe: Black Urad Dhal Powder
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Yields: one 500 gm jar
Serves: Depends on usage
Recipe/Post by: Viji

Ingredients:
1 small cup black urad dhal (whole)
1 medium sized kopra or fully riped coconut
10-15 red chili
2 pea size asafoetida
Salt to taste

2 tsp oil

Special Utensils:
Skillet, Mixer

Procedure:
  1. Fry the asafoetida in oil.
  2. Roast the urad dhal and red chili till crisp.
  3. Roast the coconut pieces till golden brown.
  4. Add salt and grind it in mixer. Healthy but tasty one.



I made podi dosa with this. Though you can make dosas with our normal idli/dosa batter, this one is spongy and tasty.


Recipe: Podi Dosa (Spicy Black Urad Dal powder on Rice Crepes)
Prep Time: 20 mintues (Fermentation over night)
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Yields: 10 mini dosas
Recipe/Post by: Viji



Ingredients:
1 cup raw rice
1/3 cup puzunkal rice/parboiled rice
¼ cup urad dhal
Salt to taste

Special Utensils:
Grinder, Skillet

Procedure:
  1. Wash and soak everything together. Grind it together to nice paste.
  2. Add salt and ferment over night.
  3. Next day make medium sized thick dosas and sprinkle the podi on top of it.
  4. Drizzle oil and cook on medium heat till done.


Special Notes/Tips:
  • I used to cover them with a lid for a while. No need to turn and cook like our regular dosas. They are spongy and tasty on their own. Serve hot.


Subscribe to Beyond Curries

RSS Feed Subscribe by Email Subscribe in a Reader
| Copyright © BEYOND CURRIES 2009 | | All rights reserved |
Legal action will be taken against anyone who violates the copyright laws.

Add This Page:

7 comments

  1. Chitra // 18 September 2009 at 15:20  

    Never tried idly podi with black gram.. will try for sure..Iam drooling over podi dosa ..:)

  2. Priya Narasimhan // 18 September 2009 at 19:55  

    I have never heard of podi with black urad dal..mouth watering pic of podi dosa..

  3. Stranded // 20 September 2009 at 08:15  

    But how do you make a dosa? Sorry I am new to everything, but I love your site. I am trying to feed my kid fermented food and things free of wheat. Is there a more detailed step by step version of this amazing recipe?

  4. Stranded // 20 September 2009 at 08:16  

    I don't know how to make dosa. I am trying to make fermented foods and wheat free food for my soon. I am really starting to enjoy indian food and it can be easily changed to avoid wheat and milk.

    Please can you give me a more detailed step by step version of this recipe?

    Is parboiled rice available in shops?

  5. Sunshinemom // 21 September 2009 at 07:42  

    Stranded, thanks!

    You will find the method for making dosas here. Please check our recipe index for more options in Indian cooking.

  6. Sudeshna // 21 September 2009 at 20:00  

    Is it the same as something called the gun powder masala? I loved the taste of that one :). Nice pics Dear.

  7. egglesscooking // 22 September 2009 at 21:48  

    Like others here, I too have not used black urad dal. This recipe is new to me Viji Akka. In general I don't use the urad dal with skin. When I see big packets in Indian grocery stores I used to wonder what to do with it.

    BC team members if you have any recipes with black urad dal please make a post.