Meet the team behind Beyond Curries

Posted by Sia | Wednesday, March 25, 2009 | 29 comments »



Meet the team behind Beyond Curries.


Alka
from Sindhi Rasoi:


I am Alka from Mumbai, a metropolitan city of India, which is not only famous for its Chaats (savory snacks) and Bollywood, but being a financial capital of nation and a potpourri of different religions,communities and cultures, it surely is a place that attract many!

My initial experiments in kitchen were along with my father,who would seek help of his daughters in (temporary) absence of our mother, to dish out some basic Dal-Rice etc. Later on, under the perfect hands of my mother, I learned about the basic cooking and it soon became a craze for me to dish out new recipes everyday. With due course of time, I kept learning new things from all the sources like neighbors, relatives, cookery shows etc. After marrying to a programmer, I was sure to be bitten by the bug of Computers and Internet, so with help of my hubby, I went ahead and started sharing recipes of Sindhi Cuisine, some traditional home style food recipes and nothing fancy about it :-)

Coming to me, well I am just another Indian Woman, who likes to put her family before her ego and career. Despite of having a degree in Microbiology, I prefer to be a Full time mother cause I found myself unable to cope up with the stress of job, home and kid all at one go, and I truly wanted to be with my kid, watching his antics and day today development, cherishing all the sweet memories, because I do believe that after few years the kids outgrow their need for parents , and then, all we long for, is spending few moments with them.

And I am excited to join Beyond curries, because it will give me yet another platform to share my thoughts, views, recipes etc, making new friends, learning new things, polishing my skills and hanging on with lovely people... So lets Rock together...

Alka blogs @ Sindhi Rasoi



Madhuram
from Eggless Cooking:
I'm Madhuram, presently living in Philadelphia (US) . My mother tongue is Telugu, but being born and brought up in Tamil Nadu my Tamil is much better than Telugu. I’ve always had interest in cooking. Back in India I used to follow all cooking shows in TV regardless of language, eagerly look for recipes in magazines. But the truth is I didn’t cook as much as I watched the shows. Occasionally I used to try some interesting recipe or cook when my grandmother or mother was not feeling well which was very rare. I didn't get a chance to explore my culinary skills even after marriage because my husband was a very diet conscious person.I was very much interested in baking but didn’t know where to start.

Being a vegetarian I also did not want to use eggs. While browsing the web I landed in Indira's blog. There I found a recipe for an eggless cake made with bananas and carrots. I tried it the very next day and it came out very well. I tried that cake with so many variations and each time it was a hit. This kindled my passion for baking. Then I started visiting other food blogs to collect eggless baking recipes. While doing so I realized that a lot of people were looking for the same. One fine day I got the idea of putting all the eggless recipes in one place and that's how my blog was born. I'm very thrilled to be a part of Beyond Curries.

Madhuram blogs @ Eggless Cooking



Sia
from Monsoon Spice:
I was born and brought up in a beautiful coastal city of Mangalore in Southern Indian state of Karnataka which is famous for its virgin beaches, red tiled roof houses and gentle backwaters. I was introduced to authentic and traditional Indian cuisine by my grandmother, Amma and half a dozen aunties at very younger age in a typical Indian joint family where the life revolves around food, love, laughter and good dose of gossips!

Coming to cooking part, it all started after I got married and moved with my ‘much’ better half to UK some 3 years ago. With beginners luck and zillions of SOS calls at ungodly hours to my Amma (mother) and Atte (mom-in-law) I reached a phase where I could cook decent pot of rice and Rasam. Slowly but steadily I graduated from cooking simple, everyday home food to exotic and exciting Indian cuisine. Since then, I have never looked back and continue to enjoy this exciting and adventurous culinary journey.

All this while working as full-time IT professional in a very exciting organisation, part-time food blogger, full-time daughter/wife/friend/sister/etc, avid reader, nature and adventure sports lover, bathroom singer and generally having full life and enjoying it to fullest.

Sia blogs @ Monsoon Spice



Srivalli
from Cooking 4 All Seasons:
My passion for cooking started when I discovered the fancy pizzas and cakes. Well having started in a prim and proper way, getting into traditional everyday Indian cooking was not so tough. As most girls learn cooking from hanging around their mother's apron strings, I was no different.

Apart from being a full time IT professional, I enjoy the challenge of creating interesting dishes for my 3 kids. There is nothing more satisfying than seeing them eat happily without scorning their nose. When I am not doing anything of the above, you will get to read me writing my blogs on what they have been up to!

Srivalli blogs @ Cooking 4 all Seasons & Spice your Life!



Sunshinemom
from Tongue Ticklers:
Born in Chennai, and brought up in various places in India thanks to my Father's job, I learned to adapt and appreciate all kinds of food at a very young age. That explains why I use a lot of mustard oil (from my UP days) as well as coconut oil in my kitchen!

I am a Tamilian, married to a Manglorean(Tulu) blessed with two young 'Tumilians'. I was always interested in 'sampling' food and began cooking only after marriage. I love good food, enjoy reading, singing, dancing, knitting, embroidery and adventure sports. I am always open to experimenting with new flavors and new techniques. I was a lacto ovo vegetarian and moved on to vegetarian to semi-vegan recently. I love North Indian Food but cook 'global food'. I love baking breads and cakes as long as I can enjoy them without guilt, which means that I mostly serve nutritious, low fat and healthy food. I hope to share and learn more about my Country while exploring Indian Cuisine through "Beyond Curries".

Sunshinemom blogs @ Tongue Ticklers



Vani
from Mysoorean:
I am originally from Mysore, the city famous for it's silk sarees, sandalwood and Dasara festivities. I currently live in the US, along with my husband and toddler daughter. Growing up, I was exposed to different Indian & world business, thanks to my mother's side of the family that loved to experiment with different fares and flavours. All of my mother's siblings, including her brothers, are wonderful cooks. Like many, I started cooking only after marriage, with my husband being the guinea pig, and a sporting one at that! I've learnt the basics of Indian cooking and all of the traditional Mysore Brahmin dishes from my mother. I look forward to sharing & experiencing culinary delight that Beyond Curries is sure to be!

Vani blogs @ Mysoorean



Viji
from Vcuisine:
I am from, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, currently living in Kuwait for the last 10 years. My cooking experience started at the age of 10, when my mother insisted that, I should learn basic cooking before marriage. She was my first guru. I love to simplify the traditional recipes and adapt the same to modern way of cooking. In my blog Vcuisine (private), not only traditional recipes I share, but also my experience and the things life taught me.

My hobbies are- reading, swimming, yoga, walking and meditation. Cooking is my passion. It is my pleasure to be part of this group.

Viji blogs @ Vcuisine (Private blog)



Subscribe to Beyond Curries

RSS Feed Subscribe by Email Subscribe in a Reader
| Copyright © BEYOND CURRIES 2009 | | All rights reserved |
Legal action will be taken against anyone who violates the copyright laws.

Add This Page:

29 comments

  1. Raaga // 10 April 2009 at 15:31  

    congratulations all of you. I look forward to seeing lots of posts sans the curry powder ;-)

    Cheers!

  2. Arch // 10 April 2009 at 19:34  

    2Great idea...All the best with the new blog, looking forward to some great tips and recipes here...

  3. meeso // 10 April 2009 at 19:56  

    I am really excited about this blog :D I wanna show it to every person who thinks all I eat is "curry"!!!

  4. rekhas kitchen // 10 April 2009 at 20:16  

    congratulations to all of you waiting for recipes

  5. Soma // 10 April 2009 at 20:30  

    Congrats folks!! This is going to be so good!! I already subscribed & read thru' everything! Great Start guys!

    Soma(www.ecurry.com)

  6. jinx // 10 April 2009 at 20:30  

    What a great idea!!! I've been following the individual blogs of majority of the bloggers on this team for a long time.........I can't wait to see the wonderful tips and recipes the combined effort will bring forth. Best of luck & Thank you!!

  7. Manasi // 10 April 2009 at 21:23  

    Congratulations!!! I am excited about this !!! Wish I was a part of the team to!
    ALL THE VERY BEST!!

  8. Padmaja // 10 April 2009 at 21:27  

    All my favourite and dear friends at one place... Gosh this is the most happening place right now.... Go Go Go...

  9. Gayathri Ramamurthy // 10 April 2009 at 21:59  

    hi ladies

    i see that u make a wonderful team of people from diverse culture. Iam viji's pen friend from chennai and i wish u all the best.i would be a ardent reader of this for sure :-)
    Regards
    Gayathri

  10. Aparna // 10 April 2009 at 23:29  

    This is a wonderful initiative. Wishing this blog all the best.

  11. Madhu // 10 April 2009 at 23:30  

    This very neat idea Sia.I will be looking forward to the posts.
    Good Luck Girls !

  12. Divya Vikram // 11 April 2009 at 00:43  

    Good Luck to the team!!

  13. Sujatha // 11 April 2009 at 01:00  

    Thats a great effort ladies! Best of luck to all of you.. looking forward to see some yummy recipes!

  14. Linda // 11 April 2009 at 09:16  

    Look forward to reading this blog -- full of talent for sure! Have lots of fun with it :)

  15. Sreelu // 11 April 2009 at 11:33  

    Girls, Congratulations !! Can't wait to see whats going to be cooking here. Good Luck !!

  16. RAKS KITCHEN // 11 April 2009 at 11:36  

    Congrats and looking forward for the posts:)

  17. Jayashree // 12 April 2009 at 07:14  

    Nice idea.....look forward to seeing your posts.

  18. Purnima // 12 April 2009 at 17:10  

    Truly happy for this wonderful blog! ALL THE BEST TO ALL OF YOU, may this blog be a HUGE SUCCESS!!

  19. Pavithra // 13 April 2009 at 06:22  

    Wow thats great idea!!!!!! all the very best

  20. Bharti // 13 April 2009 at 09:12  

    Good luck ladies! The look is lovely.

  21. karuna // 13 April 2009 at 09:47  

    this is truly great job guys. and a very cool idea. All the best.

  22. jayasree // 13 April 2009 at 11:42  

    Great idea. Good luck to the team.

  23. Sia // 15 April 2009 at 16:31  

    Thank you everybody for your warm welcome! We feel blessed and loved by ur kind response to BC. We hope to provide all the necesasary and basic information on basic indian cooking and also hope that we will be able to keep up to ur expectations :)

    ~Sia
    (On behlaf of BC team)

  24. mommyof2 // 20 April 2009 at 08:06  

    cool gang!!:-) congrats!!

  25. renuka // 21 April 2009 at 23:01  

    Congrats and All the Best.Iam sure you all would Rock....

  26. sangeeta // 20 June 2009 at 12:37  

    this is such a wonderful club......hi all the girls...i'll be here very frequently....

  27. sangeeta // 20 June 2009 at 13:03  

    this is a wonderful club i discovered ....my hello to all you gals ....you will find me visiting this place often...

  28. Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal // 3 March 2010 at 08:32  

    Hi Ladies, I enjoy your blog a lot. Please also check out my blog which I only started few days ago.

    http://mharorajasthanrecipes.blogspot.com/

  29. Lalitha Sundararajan // 24 December 2012 at 10:27  

    I Just read an old blog in "Beyond Curries" (Dated Dec. 10, 2010 for Upma Kozhakotti); the recipe given was excellent. I would like to give the following comments based upon my cooking experience: I usually add equal proportion of rice to total amount of dhals to make the dish rich in protein.

    To make the Kozhakotti quickly (instead of waiting for the hot sticky dough to come to room temperature), dip your hand in a bowl of ice-cold water and shape the Kozhakotti for steaming. Just a small hint
    Lalitha Sundararajan, Norman, OK